Staff R&D Electrical Engineer
Company: Shockwave Medical
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: August 2, 2022
Shockwave Medical, Inc. is a pioneer in the development and
commercialization of Intravascular Lithotripsy (IVL) to treat
complex calcified cardiovascular disease. Shockwave Medical aims to
establish a new standard of care for medical device treatment of
atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease through its differentiated
and proprietary local delivery of sonic pressure waves for the
treatment of calcified plaque.
Position Overview The Staff R&D Electrical Engineer will use
design and technical skills in the development of innovative
medical device products that treat peripheral and heart valve
diseases. The engineer in this role will participate on multiple
cross-functional development teams that manage projects from
concept through commercialization and will perform and support a
variety of development and engineering activities with primary
focus on mixed-signal analog and digital electronic circuit design,
microcontroller, and FPGA development.
Essential Job Functions
- Design and development of analog and digital electronics,
microcontrollers, and FPGAs for use in medical devices.
- Translate Voice of Customer needs into design inputs and
- Develop new and novel products based on user defined
- Create technical specifications from specific user
- Perform schematic capture, PCB layout, (OrCAD and Altium
preferred) and manage prototype builds.
- Develop designs using best practices including design for test
(DFT), design for manufacturability (DFM), and design for assembly
- Initiate and conduct PCBA design reviews with EE team.
- Thorough understanding of Electrical, Mechanical, Software, and
Manufacturing tradeoffs in system architecture
- Rapidly prototype subsystems and/or module proof of concept
designs to test functionality in a simulated environment.
- Troubleshoot complex electronic systems to the component
- Own full lifecycle of PCAs including design, technical reviews,
prototyping, validation testing, documentation release to medical
device standards, and transfer to production.
- Develop, execute, and document system test plans and test
reports to medical device standards.
- Collaborate with Systems Engineers to ensure all design inputs
and product requirements are addressed.
- Participate in dFMEA, Hazards Analysis, and Risk Analysis,
- Enhance the intellectual property position of the company via
invention disclosures and patent applications.
- Take a leading role in the management of assigned
- Support pilot manufacturing as required.
- Identify and participate in the creation of or improvements to
company procedures, policies, and processes.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering with
8+ years' design and development experience, or a Master's Degree
with 5+ years.
- Extensive experience with schematic capture and PCB layout
- Experience in FPGA design using VHDL or Verilog, test bench
development and simulation, design synthesis, and timing
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with all
levels of management and organizations.
- Ability to understand company business needs and develop
products with features, costs, and performance suitable to those
- Experience in all product design phases from concept to
- Experience with C language programming in embedded systems
- Experience with Python programing or similar environment for
developing interactive hardware test tools.
- Knowledge of source control tools such as GIT, SVN, Mercurial,
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment while
managing multiple priorities.
- Ability to adapt and reprioritize to changing
- Experience with EN60601-1 and collateral standards as they
apply to medical electrical equipment.
- Experience in catheter based cardiovascular devices development
is a plus.
- High-Voltage design experience is a strong plus.
- Employee may be required to lift objects up to 25lbs.
BenefitsShockwave Medical offers a competitive total compensation
package as well as the following benefits and perks -Core Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Pre-tax and Roth 401k options with a fully
vested match, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, and Life
Insurance, Employer contribution toward Health Savings Account
(HSA), Competitive PTO balancePerks: ESPP, Calm App, Pet Insurance,
Student Loan Refinancing, Spot Bonus awardsEEO Employer
Keywords: Shockwave Medical, Santa Clara , Staff R&D Electrical Engineer, Engineering , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!