Company: Kaiser Permanente Zion Medical Center
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: September 18, 2022
Under the general direction and supervision of the exempt
optometrist or exempt designee, performs routine procedures using
independent professional judgment in the practice of optometry
within the scope of the laws of the state of California, the rules
and regulations of the California Board of Optometry and the
policies of The Permanente Medical Group, Inc. Essential
- Conducts and documents history including chief complaint,
relevant symptoms as appropriate; pertinent ocular health, family
and medical history, medications; current spectacle/contact lens
and any other data required to manage the patients vision and
ocular health needs.
- Performs minimum as well as appropriate additional testing as
needed based on the specific needs of each patient. Adequately
documents findings. Is proficient in the use and interpretation of
standard ophthalmic equipment. These include but are not limited to
retinoscopy, subjective refraction, lensometry, visual fields,
mobility and pupil testing, slit lamp examination, direct and
indirect ophthalmoscopy, gonioscopy, fundus contact lens, tear
function testing, Amsler grid, confrontation fields, etc.
- Accurately interprets data from clinical exam. Makes sound
clinical diagnoses. Takes appropriate actions(s) to take care of
patients' chief complaint(s) and ensure ocular health and visual
needs are met. Clearly documents impressions and clinical action
plan in the chart including referrals to other providers, long term
medical management and/or optical and therapeutic prescriptions
- Uses tests and procedures as described above designed to detect
and appropriately manager disorders common to the elderly such as
glaucoma, cataracts, and macular degeneration. Actively
communicates with optical, ophthalmology, support staff and fellow
OD teams to optimize quality and clinical care and service to
patients. Teams with optical staff and ophthalmologists to ensure
most timely and convenient service given to patient when their
services are needed. Attends and contributes to staff meetings to
keep up with events and policy changes. Identifies and reports
system problems that result in waste and poor services; identifies
- Maintains all licensing and job requirements (CE, CPR, safety
- Dictates/writes referral and information letters to other
providers or agencies, as appropriate, or otherwise communicates
with parents, teachers or other providers as appropriate. Performs
other related duties such as completing school forms, DMV, FAA and
other like documents.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should
demonstrate the following competencies :
- Analytical -
- Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and
evaluates data; uses critical thinking and experience to complement
- Problem Solving -
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers
and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative
solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses
reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses;
pursues training and development opportunities; strives to
continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not
blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without
interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others'
ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in
positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification;
responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills;
participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits
work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs;
presents numerical data effectively reads and interprets written
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities;
exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and
welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit;
puts success of team above own interests; builds morale and group
commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to
succeed. Delegation - Delegates work assignments; matches the
responsibility to the person; gives authority to work
independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities;
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires
and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences
actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote
quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Cost Consciousness - Looks for opportunities to improve cost
- Diversity - Knowledgeable of EEO policy; shows respect and
sensitivity for cultural differences and persons with physical
disabilities; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures;
supports organization's goals and values; supports affirmative
action and respects diversity Basic Qualifications: Experience
- OD degree from an accredited School of Optometry. 1 year
desired but not required. License, Certification, Registration
- Current California Optometric License. Additional
- Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Agents (T.P.A.) required for
external employees hired after November 2009 (TPA is not required
for internal applicants). Preferred Qualifications:
- Graduate of an accredited school of Optometry. Certification:
Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Agents (TPA). Meets all of the
specifications of staff Optometrist. Work and coordinate concerns
in a designated location. Direct and oversee daily operations and
report to the local Chief of Optometry or exempt designee. Must be
willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
- Must have a Nat'l Provider Identifier (NPI), or obtain an NPI,
prior to employment start date.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the
appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente Zion Medical Center, Santa Clara , Optometrist (Temporary), Healthcare , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!