Manager of Data Center Operations (Overnight Shift) - Santa Clara, CA
Company: CoreSite Realty Corporation
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: September 18, 2023
As a leader in CoreSite's Operations team, the Manager - Data
Center Operations is responsible for all operational aspects and
uptime of the data center. The manager is responsible for providing
Field level technical expertise and program management for the
maintenance and operation of the electrical, mechanical, fire life
safety, security, and communications infrastructure as well as any
applicable base building support systems. All Data Center
Operations staff reports through the Manager - Data Center
Operations.Please note that this opening is specifically for our
Overnight Shift which requires the ability to regularly work from
10:00 pm to 7:30 am.Mechanical responsibilities will include
chilled water systems and components, HVAC systems such as roof top
units, CRAC/CRAH units, and humidification systems.Electrical
responsibilities will include electrical/critical power
distribution from the Utility/Generator main switchgear through the
UPS systems out to the customer load.Fire Life Safety
responsibilities will include wet sprinkler systems and pre-action
sprinkler systems as well as their associated detection
devices.Communications Infrastructure responsibilities will include
IFD / MDF / MMR management, structured cabling and supporting
infrastructure ownership, and customer space management.Security
responsibilities include all security systems and cameras as well
as physical security of the data center.The position is responsible
for customer support services, all onsite vendor management, vendor
contracts, site operational efficiency, site uptime, compliance
audits, team training, and facility financials. The Data Center
Manager will assist the Market Director in developing financial
OPEX and CAPEX budgets and will be responsible for meeting strict
budget standards.The Manager - Data Center Operations is
responsible for implementing the Data Center Operations Program at
their site. The Manager - Data Center Operations is responsible for
employee training and ensuring all staff is adequately qualified to
perform required duties. Shift coverage and schedule are the duties
of the Manager - Data Center Operations. The individual must
possess strong management and interpersonal skills. The Manager -
Data Center Operations is responsible for evaluations and coaching
of their direct reports. Regular team and induvial meetings are
required. The role is an in-person role due to the operational and
business needs of the facility.Duties:
- Advise the Senior Manager - Data Center Operations in the
development and supervision of the facility maintenance program and
- Demonstrate technical knowledge and experience in telecom,
cabling, electrical and mechanical support systems to include power
distribution systems, emergency power, UPS systems, D/C power,
HVAC, and fire alarm and suppression systems.
- Completion of CoreSite's Data Center Operations Qualification
Program to the tier level at which you are hired within the first
nine (9) months of employment.
- Ensure data center operates at maximum operational efficiency,
including analyzing existing operating conditions, recommending new
technologies, and improving overall efficiency and cost reduction.
Ideal candidate will have a demonstrated technical ability and
innovative thinking cross functionally, including integrated
systems and IT
- Senior technical point of contact for all aspects concerning
the maintenance, troubleshooting, and operation of site support
- Participate in the overall facility design and construction
related to site operation, maintainability, and security.
- Responsible for site physical security.
- Responsible for site compliance with company and industry
standards, as well as customer contracts.
- With the approval of the Market Leader, develop and implement
new maintenance standards, as well as work to improve existing
standards to support site operations.
- Ensure proper installation and commissioning of all new
equipment within the facility.
- Responsible for ensuring site construction and commissioning
efforts do not impact regular site operations.
- Supervise and critique work performance by subcontractors to
ensure adherence to standards, schedules and specifications. This
includes any third party contractor hired to support data center
and base building infrastructure.
- Maintain the database management of maintenance discrepancies
and work with Operations management to resolve site issues based on
agreed upon priorities.
- Responsibilities will include ensuring that operational,
maintenance and emergency Methods of Procedures (MOP's) are
developed, reviewed and audited through all stages of the
maintenance process for electrical, mechanical, communications,
safety, and security support equipment.
- Will mentor and provide training for personnel in the planning,
scheduling and completion of preventative, corrective and emergency
- Will assist in the development and maintain departmental
budgets, focusing on cost saving methods.
- Training and qualification of site personnel on all aspects of
individual job duties.
- Develop and maintain along with supervisors individual training
plans for each employee.
- Lead customer meetings to review happenings on site.
- Lead root cause analysis process and deep dive into abnormal
occurrences within the data center.
- Assist peers with developing teams.
- Assist sales, sales engineering, and GM team with customer
tours and sales process.
- Work with Network Operations and Engineering teams to ensure
facility systems are regularly updated and the facility remains
best in class.
- Adhere to and promote CoreSite's Principles of Operational
- Promote and demonstrate the behaviors consistent with
CoreSite's culture and 8 Guiding Principles.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Expert understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems
used in a data center environment, including, but not limited to
the following: electrical distribution and layout, Transformers,
PLC's, Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, STS', ATS' PDU's,
Chilled Water Systems, CRAC/CRAH's, Pre-Action Sprinkler
- Expert knowledge of fiber optics / cabling infrastructure and
industry best practices.
- Expert knowledge in industrial safety best practices (i.e.
lockout/tag out, arc flash protection, OSHA and state
- Expert knowledge and experienced with data trending / tracking
and analysis and ability to rapidly learn and use PC based,
integrated critical monitoring systems
- Expert knowledge of OSHA, NFPA, and NEC.
- Expert knowledge of energy efficiency best practices.
- Strong background in Electrical, Mechanical, Protection, and
controls systems commissioning.
- Expert knowledge in physical security and security
- Proven knowledge of tenant contracts.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience installing, maintaining,
and/or troubleshooting large commercial and industrial
- Experienced people manager across multiple disciplines.
- Expert vendor management skills including service contract
- Experienced project management skills, including budgeting,
time tracking, schedule creation, scope development, contract
- Excellent skills in facility budgeting and forecasting.
- Experienced vendor and contact manager.
- Experienced in the design, construction, and commissioning of
critical systems and buildings. Education/Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or
equivalent time in rate.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in the operation, design,
troubleshooting, and maintenance of critical infrastructure
facilities with Data Centers and Hospitals being preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in administering and managing facility
preventative maintenance programs and budgets.
- 3-5 years of experience in technical procedure and policy
- 3-5 years of experience in people management.
- 1-3 years of project management experience.
- 1-3 years of experience in commissioning of electrical and
mechanical infrastructure. Physical Demands and Special
RequirementsThe physical demands described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Ability to stand 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to walk 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to sit 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to climb and balance 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl 1/3 - 2/3 of the
- Ability to reach with hands & arms 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to smell, talk & hear
- Ability to use hands to type, handle & feel
- Ability to reach with hands and arms
- Ability to see at close and distance ranges and the ability to
- Must be comfortable working in a high stress, fast paced
environment with shifting priorities
- Must be willing to work outside normal business hours,
including weekends, late nights, holidays, and on-call support
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds 1/3 of the time Compensation:
Compensation for this role includes a base salary between $105,000
and $130,000 annually. This role is also eligible for an annual
bonus and equity, based on individual and company performance.Not
only does CoreSite have a fun, team-focused work environment, but
we also offer great benefits!
- Medical and Vision coverage through Cigna Heath Care
- Telemedicine through MDLive
- Dental Insurance through Delta Dental
- Life Insurance and Short-Term & Long-term Disability Insurance
fully paid by the company
- Voluntary coverage benefits for Life and AD&D, Critical
Illness, Accident Coverage, and Hospital Indemnity
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Plans and Health Saving Account (HSA) Plans
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with a generous company
- Discretionary Annual Bonus and Equity Incentive Plan
- 15 days of Flextime
- 11 paid Company Holidays and Floating Holidays
- School Visitation and Elder Care Paid Time
- Parental Leave
- Free parking or a company contribution toward a public transit
pass Applicant Privacy Notice: CoreSite is committed to protecting
the privacy and security of personal information submitted by
applicants. The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) requires us
to provide you information about our personal information handling
practices. As a result, we're providing this Privacy Notice that
describes how we collect, use, share, and update personal
information from individuals who wish to be considered for
employment with CoreSite. To read the Applicant Privacy Notice,
please go to .
Keywords: CoreSite Realty Corporation, Santa Clara , Manager of Data Center Operations (Overnight Shift) - Santa Clara, CA, Hospitality & Tourism , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!