Senior Principal Data Scientist (Python/R)
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: September 16, 2020
Roche Diagnostics has built a new strategic area - Diagnostics
Information Solutions (DIS) - charged with creating a modern
portfolio of decision support software products that change the way
patients are cared for. Our challenge is to bring together complex
diagnostic and treatment data from medical devices and IT systems
within a hospital and intelligently process and present this data
to clinicians, researchers, and caregivers to improve research
outcomes and patient care.
As a Senior Principal Data Scientist within the Data Science &
Services (DSS) team at DIS, you are responsible for
conceptualizing, planning and executing advanced analytics projects
to discover key insights improving NAVIFY product portfolio leading
to better and more efficient patient care. In close cooperation
with other more Scientists you will design and execute advanced
analytics projects building on a wide range of commercial and
research datasets containing deep medical information.
As a Senior Principal Data Scientist, you will also ensure that
design, execution, and presentation of analytical results are
adhering to industry standards and potentially improve and redefine
current industry standards. You will rely on your oncology
expertise, advanced analytical skills, and your ability to interact
with cross-functional experts such as biostatisticians, clinical
scientists and oncologists, to discover novel insights
demonstrating impact of various treatment decisions, and uncover
key elements leading to best outcomes for patients. In addition,
you will maintain and expand knowledge of available healthcare data
sources and applicable state-of-the- art analytical methodologies,
large scale data processing and visualization, and languages and
tools (R, Python, (no-)SQL, Hadoop, Spark, etc.).
- Drive data science and analytical software development teams;
develop solutions to support insight generation facilitating
successful development, verification and commercialization of
diagnostics services and products.
- Contribute to broad product support initiatives, lead and
deliver on complex projects, and interact with external partners
- Maintain and expand knowledge and access to available and
meaningful data sources within/outside Roche, and their application
to NAVIFY customer needs.
- Perform high quality, timely and accurate analyses using most
relevant state-of-the-art methodologies, tools and resources.
- Committed to offering innovation, finding opportunities to
enhance ways of working (including processes, methods, technology
etc.) and sharing new techniques and lessons learned pro-actively
- Use and continue to foster strong working relationships with
global colleagues and customers and builds a strong network in
order to jointly explore vendor relationships, data assets,
analytical methodologies and toolsets.
- Build and maintain partnerships with other data scientists and
analysts, biostatistics, medical and business leaders, and other
key functional experts.
- Responsible for planning and timely delivery of assigned
- Drive creation of best practices to other team members.
Proactively share learnings/experience with colleagues both
internal and external to the function.
- Act as a positive role model for peers and help coach
colleagues to improve in their role with both technical and
- Influence as thought leader in your industry and an influential
subject matter expert to your team members and the businesses you
- Leverage strategic organizational awareness and systems mindset
to implement sustainable, science based practices.
Who you are:
- Data savvy creative thinker, problem solver and mentor.
- Reliable team player, strong collaborator with ability to
influence and a thought partner/leader. Organizationally savvy,
- Excellent communication skills, effective stakeholder
management ability. Life learner, constructive at giving and
- Strong solution finding, resiliency and a sense of ownership;
Effective prioritization skills, attention to detail and accuracy;
Adaptable, embraces and endorses change.
Minimum Skills and Experience:
- Master's degree (PhD strongly preferred) in a Data Science or
related field (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics,
Bioinformatics, etc.) required plus 16 years of experience; or PhD
and 12 years of experience.
- Graduate training or experience in biological/medical field is
- Strong background in Oncology, either by education or
- Strong Programming experience with R, Python, and/or other
- Strong experience in applying statistical modeling, machine
learning, exploratory, and confirmatory data analysis in mid to
large volume biomedical data sets.
- Experience using big data platforms such as Hadoop (Spark is a
- In-depth knowledge of relational database principles and
corresponding query language skills (e.g. SQL) is of interest.
- Familiarity with regulatory framework and guidelines for
pharma/diagnostics products is a plus.
- Good knowledge of English in a business environment.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to negotiate
successfully; strong influencing skills; self-contained and
- Strong solution finding, prioritization and attention to
details skills while embracing/endorsing change.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Research & Development,
Research & Development > Modelling & Simulation
Keywords: Roche, Santa Clara , Senior Principal Data Scientist (Python/R), IT / Software / Systems , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!