Staff Attorney, NYLAG Immigrant Protection Unit
Company: Immigratin Advocatres Network
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Staff Attorney, NYLAG Immigrant Protection Unit Founded in 1990,
the New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) is a leading
not-for-profit civil legal services organization advocating for
adults, children, and families that are experiencing poverty or
have low income. We tackle the legal challenges and systematic
barriers that threaten our clients' economic stability, well-being,
and safety. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion
and constantly improving how we respond to systemic issues of
racism that affect our clients in their pursuit of justice. We
address emerging and urgent needs with comprehensive, free civil
legal services, direct representation, impact litigation, policy
advocacy, financial counseling, medical-legal partnerships, and
community education and partnerships. Last year, we affected the
lives of 90,800 people. Position: The Staff Attorney will provide
legal representation and legal advocacy to non-citizens
experiencing poverty who are in removal proceedings before the
Immigration Court, have previously been ordered removed by an
Immigration Judge, or have complicated affirmative matters before
the US Citizenship and Immigration Service. A substantial portion
of these clients will be Spanish-speaking and will not be
proficient in English. The Staff Attorney will also conduct
screening and consultations with potential clients, many of whom
will be detained or in danger of being imminently detained by
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Responsibilities:
- Represent clients in detained and non-detained removal
proceedings before the Immigration Court and their appeals to the
Board of Immigration Appeals and Second Circuit.
- Represent clients in Family Court as needed for Special
Immigrant Juvenile Status, and in affirmative matters before the US
Citizenship and Immigration Court.
- Perform intake and screening, and provide advice, consultation,
advocacy, and brief services to potential clients in NYLAG's
office, at clinical programs in the community, and in detention
- Make visits to detention centers as necessary to interview and
- Maintain data in case management system and assist with
gathering data for grant reporting.
- Represent NYLAG at advocate meetings and community events.
- Work with and mentor pro bono attorneys, volunteers, and law
students working with NYLAG.
- Conduct trainings for community-based organizations, local
agencies, and other advocates in the related substantive matters.
- Admission to New York Bar required.
- Fluency in Spanish required.
- Minimum three years experience in immigration law
- Minimum one year of experience in removal defense
- Experience with federal litigation, including habeas petitions,
- Experience working with survivors of trauma, immigrants and/or
- Excellent oral advocacy, litigation, research, and writing
- Strong organizational and administrative skills. How to Apply:
To apply or for more information, please visit this link .
Keywords: Immigratin Advocatres Network, Santa Clara , Staff Attorney, NYLAG Immigrant Protection Unit, Legal , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!