Staff Attorney or Fully Accredited Representative, Migrant & Immigrant Community Action Project[...]
Company: Immigratin Advocatres Network
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: May 9, 2022
Staff Attorney or Fully Accredited Representative, Migrant &
Immigrant Community Action Project (MICA) The Migrant and Immigrant
Community Action Project (MICA Project) is a community organization
committed to working with low-income immigrants to overcome
barriers to justice. The MICA Project utilizes legal services,
organizing, advocacy, and education to promote the voice and human
dignity of immigrant communities. Position: The Immigration Staff
Attorney/Fully Accredited Representative works with clients to
provide immigration legal services through direct representation in
applications for immigration benefits before USCIS and direct
representation for immigrants and their families facing immigration
removal proceedings in Immigration Court. The Staff Attorney/Fully
Accredited Representative will also participate in the
organization's Community Outreach Program, providing Know Your
Rights presentations and community workshops as needed and in
collaboration with community partners. Ability to represent clients
in Immigration Court is a requirement for this position. Applicants
must either be licensed attorneys or eligible to immediately apply
for full accreditation. Partially accredited representatives will
not be able to complete the necessary functions of the position.
- Provide legal representation to clients in immigration matters,
coordinate and manage caseload;
- Supervise assigned volunteers and interns;
- Conduct individual client interviews and follow-up
- Prepare various immigration filings, documents, applications,
packets and liaising with government agencies;
- Prepare all necessary legal documents in individual cases,
including (but not limited to) briefs, petitions, motions,
applications and appeals;
- All staff members play a key role in collective duties within
the office including daily operations and organizational
- Participate in community outreach efforts as needed, including
group processing events;
- Maintain grant reporting data on clients and services;
- Maintain professional contacts in local and national
immigration community, as well as attend immigration taskforce and
- Maintain and establish relationships with community-based
organizations, community partners,
- immigration service providers, policy/advocacy groups and
coalitions relevant to the MICA Project's work.
- Ensure the avoidance of conflicts of interest. Generally,
outside legal casework is prohibited, as it could lead to a
conflict or give rise to a professional liability claim; and
- Other duties as assigned. Qualifications:
- Education/licensure: J.D. from an accredited ABA institute and
license to practice law in the United States; OR immediately
prepared to apply for Fully Accredited Representative status
- Passion for social justice for immigrants.
- Immigration law experience preferred - law school clinic work,
externships, or other similar training may beconsidered. Experience
with criminal defense, family law, or litigation in combination
with a willingness tolearn immigration law will also be considered.
Experience working in a high volume, social justice law firm is a
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills to effectively
present information, respond to questions;
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to take initiative and work under pressure.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
and meet deadlines;
- Strong collaboration and facilitation skills to establish and
maintain good relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Experience in a multi-cultural setting or familiarity with
different cultures preferred.
- Life experience working, travelling, or living in other
countries, especially Latin America, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with marginalized
- Experience providing direct legal services to clients in
crisis, as clients will include survivors of trauma who have
experienced domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking,
torture, and other forms of violence preferred. How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references with contact
information to email@example.com.
Keywords: Immigratin Advocatres Network, Santa Clara , Staff Attorney or Fully Accredited Representative, Migrant & Immigrant Community Action Project[...], Legal , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!