Staff Attorney, Columbia Legal Services
Company: Immigratin Advocatres Network
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: May 12, 2022
Columbia Legal Services is a legal advocacy organization that
advances social, economic, and racial equity for -people living in
poverty. We hold government agencies, institutions, and other
actors accountable to address -the root causes of racism and their
manifestation in unfair treatment and inequitable access to
resources, -power, and opportunities based on race. We focus on
dismantling unfair systems of mass incarceration and -immigration.
We believe that communities should have a voice in the creation and
implementation of the -policies, laws, and legal systems that
impact them. Position:
Columbia Legal Services seeks two (2) full-time Staff Attorneys to
join our statewide advocacy team. Our staff attorneys engage in
systemic, multi-forum legal advocacy and community engagement to
dismantle the structures that perpetuate poverty, racism, and other
injustices in Washington. Due to an increase in funding and
advocacy opportunities, we are filling multiple positions and seek
a mix of both developing (3+ years) and more experienced
candidates. All interested applicants who meet the qualifications
are encouraged to apply. These positions are based in Seattle, WA.
- Collaborate with advocates on complex trial, appellate, and
class action litigation in state, federal, and administrative
- Advance policy advocacy in the state legislature and at the
local and federal level.
- Investigate practices and laws identified by the communities we
serve that adversely affect their rights or benefits and devise
creative strategies for addressing these problems.
- Collaborate with community groups to support their initiatives
- Coordinate with other advocacy groups, legal services
organizations, and the private bar to identify opportunities to
advance the law for our client populations and communities.
- Analyze complex problems using a race equity lens and develop
creative, practical, systemic solutions in conjunction with clients
and communities most impacted by these problems.
- Experienced attorneys are expected to provide mentorship to
others at CLS. Qualifications:
- Law degree and license to practice in Washington, or ability to
take next Washington bar exam. --- A minimum of 3 years' experience
in litigation. Experience in policy advocacy, complex litigation,
or appellate advocacy is a plus.
- Lived or other demonstrated meaningful and sustained experience
with people living in poverty, people of color, immigrant, or
indigenous communities or the criminal legal system.
- Humility, humor, and flexibility.
- Commitment to exposing and dismantling all forms of structural
bias and oppression.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity, interest in learning
and exploring different legal areas and ability to apply
multi-forum advocacy approaches at a strategic level.
- Excellent written and oral communication, research,
negotiation, and analytical skills.
- Commitment to continuous learning and openness to new
- Ability to work well on a team, prioritize responsibilities,
and meet time-sensitive deadlines.
- Understanding of the importance of self-care, and a willingness
to take breaks and vacations.
- Ability to travel occasionally around the state to engage with
community and meet clients.
- Language skills relevant to our client communities,
particularly Spanish, are a plus. How to Apply:
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and a 5-10 page
writing sample in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please
make Seattle Staff Attorney your subject line. We accept
applications on a rolling basis, with priority given to those
received before February 7th.
Keywords: Immigratin Advocatres Network, Santa Clara , Staff Attorney, Columbia Legal Services, Legal , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!