Staff Attorney, Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center
Company: Immigratin Advocatres Network
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: September 17, 2022
Las Americas is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in El
Paso, Texas providing free and low-cost legal services to
immigrants and refugees in West Texas and New Mexico. They have
served over 40,000 people from over 77 countries since 1987.
The Detained Deportation Defense Program Staff Attorney will lead
the Las Americas Detained Team working to both prepare and
represent asylum seekers before immigration court. The Staff
Attorney will supervise a legal assistant, paralegals, and interns,
and work in close collaboration with other attorneys, and
accredited representatives under the direct supervision of the
Director of Legal Services. Responsibilities:
- Provide legal representation in immigration cases, including
both affirmative applications and representation of clients in
removal proceedings, as well as potential appellate work before the
Board of Immigration Appeals.
- Sign and file petitions for immigration relief and represent
clients in immigration court in various cases, including but not
limited to Asylum, Cancellation of Removal, U-Visa, T-Visa, VAWA,
- Conduct legal consultations at two regional detention
- Support the Las Americas legal team, including DOJ accredited
representatives and other assigned staff through regular
engagement, case assistance, and mentorship under the supervision
of the Director of Legal Services.
- Supervise and mentor pro-bono attorneys assisting with requests
for evidence, briefs, appellate work, and other tasks. -
- Oversee and provide legal orientation, counseling, and
education regarding a range of immigration issues and other legal
problems faced by members of the low-income immigrant communities
that Las Americas serves.
- Collaborate with legal staff in creating and analyzing legal
strategies; personalizing case interventions/actions; and
contributing to the best practices of immigration law in the 5th
and 10th circuit.
- Develop materials to train and aid staff, pro-bono attorneys,
clients, and pro se respondents as they endeavor to navigate the
complex immigration system. Qualifications:
- Juris Doctorate degree with membership in good standing in the
bar of any state and/or the District of Columbia.
- Bilingual, English and Spanish
- Highly motivated, efficient, able to work well under pressure,
and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational, and time
- Must maintain professional demeanor and excellent work ethics
at all times.
- Demonstrated passion for social justice for immigrants.
- Proficiency with computers, common office equipment, Microsoft
Office, and Google Workspace. How to Apply: Send resume, cover
letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday,
September 15, 2021.
Keywords: Immigratin Advocatres Network, Santa Clara , Staff Attorney, Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center, Legal , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!