Lucha Staff Attorney, Americans for Immigrant Justice
Company: Immigratin Advocatres Network
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: September 17, 2023
Lucha Staff Attorney, Americans for Immigrant Justice Americans
for Immigrant Justice (AI Justice), a not-for-profit law firm
founded in 1996 to protect
and promote the basic human rights of immigrants, has a
multicultural and a multilingual staff.
AI Justice has represented clients from around the world and is
recognized as a powerful
advocate and national leader for immigrants' rights. AI Justice
works closely with traditional civil
rights organizations as well as with grassroots organizations and
local, state and national
government officials to effect positive change in immigration
policies. Founded in 1997, AI
Justice's Lucha Program provides free legal representation to
immigrant survivors of domestic
violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking. The Lucha team
confronts challenges faced by
immigrant survivors through a combination of direct services and
systemic advocacy. Lucha
also plays a pivotal role in educating law enforcement and other
government agencies at the
local, state, and national levels about how to effectively support
immigrant survivors of abuse
and trafficking. Position: Americans for Immigrant Justice (AI
Justice) seeks an immigration attorney to provide direct
legal representation to immigrant survivors of domestic violence,
sexual assault, and human
trafficking before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service,
the Immigration Court (EOIR),
and the Board of Immigration Appeals. Responsibilities:
- Interview potential clients, determine income eligibility, and
develop an assessment of the legal merit of their claims and the
appropriateness for representation by AI Justice.
- Effectively manage a large caseload, including VAWA, U-visa,
T-visa, & Removal, Defense, using online case management
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on changes in immigration law and
- Maintain current and detailed case management records. Conduct
outreach efforts and maintain relationships with domestic violence
and human trafficking providers, governmental agencies, law
enforcement officials, and community-based organizations.
- Educate and provide technical assistance to community partners
concerning immigration. issues affecting survivors of domestic
violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking.
- Represent AI Justice's Lucha Program at community and coalition
- Work closely with community partners to ensure clients'
holistic needs are met.
- Work closely with the assigned Lucha paralegal to execute the
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned. Qualifications:
- Must be an active member in good standing of any State Bar.
Applicants who have not been admitted to any bar will not be
- Fully bilingual, including reading and writing, in English and
Spanish is required.
- Two to three years of experience providing immigration legal
services to low-income individuals preferred.
- Experience with humanitarian immigration relief (VAWA, U-visas,
and T-visas) strongly preferred.
- Experience working with survivors of trauma preferred.
- Experience training legal and social service advocates
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral advocacy skills.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Enthusiastic about and committed to working alongside people
from diverse cultural, educational, professional, and socioeconomic
- A demonstrated belief in diversity, inclusion, and equity for
- Comfortable working in a collaborative environment that values
giving and receiving feedback.
- Must have own transportation.
- Must be willing to submit to an extensive background check,
including FBI, statewide repository, and sex offender registry
checks. How to apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and
three references in PDF format, using the subject line "LUCHA
PROGRAM STAFF ATTORNEY" to firstname.lastname@example.org
Keywords: Immigratin Advocatres Network, Santa Clara , Lucha Staff Attorney, Americans for Immigrant Justice, Legal , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!