Associate Chief Nursing Officer
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Important Update: In response to the COVID-19
pandemic, Kaiser Permanente is moving to a virtual recruitment
process including telephone and video interviews to help ensure the
health and safety of our employees, candidates, and communities.
Also, some hiring activities may be delayed or suspended in certain
geographic areas and job categories. For more information on Kaiser
Permanentes response to COVID-19, visit our Resource Center .
Our nurse professionals embody what it means to provide the best
patient interactions possible. They also advance the art and
science of nursing in a patient-centered, healing environment.
Associate Chief Nursing Officer
In association with the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) for the Area
and the COO for the local facility, this role provides leadership
for patient care and is responsible for all nursing and other
designated patient care functions/services within the hospital
organization. The Associate Chief Nursing Officer works under the
direction of the CNO to provide direction, leadership, planning,
organization and general management for all aspects of patient care
ensuring integration of services and compliance with long range
objectives and strategies, including the provision of excellent
quality services and responsible fiscal management. This role may
need to represent for the CNO nursing/patient care on the hospital
executive leadership team, at the medical executive committee and
medical staff committees. The Chief Nursing Officer may delegate
specific areas of oversight for the professional practice of
nursing and the provision of nursing care in all licensed or
surveyable areas of the medical facility. Oversight is defined as
having responsibility for regulatory, quality, service, resources,
nursing staff competency and evaluation of the overall delivery of
nursing care. Sets standards and drives operational integration of
programs by ensuring alignment of communication to nursing. Ensures
that programs and initiatives dovetail with Health System goals and
key result areas: workplace of choice, quality, productivity and
efficiency, financial performance, service and reputation, and
innovation and strategic growth.
- Communication and Relationship Management: Develops effective
working relationships with key stakeholders and operational
- Manages organizational relationships in a way that builds and
maintains a climate of trust and inspires commitment from others to
achieve organization goals.
- Influences and recommends system level changes for the
advancement of patient care, with interdisciplinary colleagues and
- Works collaboratively with labor partners to achieve
organization goals and objectives.
- Participates, as delegated, in defined and established
leadership meetings locally and regionally and establishes
partnerships with medical facility and regional leadership groups.
Participates in medical staff activities and serves on selected
medical facility committees.
- Maintains strong collaborative relationship with medical staff
leadership and coordinates with medical group partners to provide
for the seamless transition of patients across the continuum of
care. Senior level communication, presentation, leadership,
analytical and problem solving skills required. Effectively
communicates with all internal and external constituents, including
staff, colleagues, and physicians. Produces and presents oral and
written materials to address nursing, healthcare and organizational
issues appropriate to the audience.
- Appropriately identify and promptly communicate critical issues
and activities to the CNO and to lead the development and
implementation of a corresponding plan of action to resolve the
- Communicates effectively as one of the hospital's advocates to
members of the community, continually seeking ways to improve and
promote the public relations objective of the hospital.
- Actively communicates and embeds the Kaiser Permanente Nursing
Vision, Values and Model within the culture in alignment with
- Creates an environment which recognizes and values diversity
and designs strategies that address the unique needs of a diverse
workforce, patient population, and community.
- Participates in the academic community through advisory and
- Provides a supportive and stimulating learning environment for
nursing students and other patient care students.
- Addresses and manages conflict in a constructive and productive
- Assesses the current environment and establishes indicators of
progress toward cultural competency.
- Provides an environment that engages staff and others in
- Business Skills & Principles:In conjunction with medical
facility leadership groups, determines the most cost-effective and
efficient levels of patient care clinically and operationally;
implements such locally.
- Participates, as delegated, in hospital strategic planning
process and collaborates with facility management team and the
medical staff to develop the overall financial plan for the medical
- Accountable for the efficient delivery of all patient care
services for KP members.
- Participates in the development, implementation, utilization
and evaluation of cost-effective, medical facility programs,
policies and procedures that address the high quality nursing care,
treatment and service needs of the patient population.
- Manages patient care processes to ensure optimal utilization
- Assures short and long-range financial goals are met by
establishing and controlling the budgets. Monitors and assesses
trends, external environment and internal practices; makes
recommendations to develop/adjust strategy to meet the changing
business and market conditions.
- Accountable, as directed by CNO, for the preparation and review
of department operating and capital budgets based upon criteria
supported by volume and expense projections, cost benefit analysis,
operating processes and other relevant information.
- Monitors departmental expenses by reviewing variance reports
and taking action for adjustments and improvements as needed to
ensure optimal productivity standards are met.
- Demonstrates ability to access information and analyze data to
make decisions in planning for patient care.
- Coordinates activities between departments to reduce
duplication, increase efficiency and achieve higher levels of
- Develops and implements quality and utilization standards for
patient care services to ensure coordinated plans of treatment,
delivery of services that meet members needs, and the
cost-effective utilization of necessary services. Utilizes and
maximizes effective systems for resource management in nursing,
including patient acuity and staffing applications.
- Achieves optimal patient care experience through focused
customer service strategies.
- Participates in developing and implementing recruitment and
retention strategies to ensure a sufficient and stable workforce of
qualified staff members are available to meet the needs of the
- Develops a succession plan for nursing leadership for which
ACNO is accountable.
- Recognizes the need for change; adapts to, and motivates others
to adapt to values, strategies, goals and plans in response to
changing business conditions.
- Demonstrates basic competency in technology applications
related to business and clinical functions.
- Optimize computerized electronic medical record system and
utilize relevant data to improve patient care outcomes.
- Ensures compliance with legal and ethical issues related to
client data, information, and confidentiality.
- Professionalism:Provides vision and leadership for nursing
professional practice model
- Creates an environment wherein others are setting expectations
and holding each other accountable and in which professional growth
is an expectation.
- Maintains personal development plan and measure progress
according to that plan.
- Maintains personal and professional accountability.
- Integrates high ethical standards and core values into everyday
- Contributes to the profession of nursing through professional
organizations, publication, and other professional endeavors,
including maintaining a professional network of colleagues.
- Leadership:Assures that the clinical perspective is included in
- Guides the operational implementation of quality improvement
initiatives using innovation and evidence-based practice. Generates
and encourages innovation and creative solutions to issues or
problems. Is able and willing to solve problems from various points
of view and make difficult decisions.
- Achieves quality outcomes by utilizing problem identification,
process improvement, root cause analysis, and reducing variation to
- Implements the organization's performance improvement program,
including planning, setting priorities, conducting systematic
performance assessments, implementing improvements based on such
assessments, and maintaining achieved improvements.
- Ensures a professional development program which addresses the
needs of clinical and management staff. Provides for employee
development and educational programs to meet needs of patient care
staff. Creates a structure to ensure a learning environment that
fosters growth and development of self and others.
- Coaches and mentors aspiring nurse leaders: Develops a strong
management team by setting high standards of behavior, performance,
quality, patient care experience, and integrity.
- May need to serve as Administrator or Nursing Leader -On-Call
on a regular rotating basis.
- Performs annual employee performance evaluations of direct
reports and, through subordinates, ensures that all departmental
employees receive annual written performance evaluations.
- Ensures a safe work environment that is based on a zero
tolerance for sexual harassment, workplace violence, and verbal and
- Supports the development and implementation of an
organization-wide patient and workplace safety program.
- Creates a healthy work environment that promotes employee
- Builds trust with the nursing team through visibility.
- Serves as change agent when patient care work/workflow is
redesigned. Provides and assists in direction to all patient care
services within the hospital license in order to integrate services
and provide uniform standards of care.
- Knowledge of Health Care Environment:Understands, articulates,
and ensures compliance with patient care standards reflected in
federal and state regulation, The Joint Commission, California
Nurse Practice Act, and organizational policies and
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of accreditation and
regulatory requirements applicable to patient care and/or other
- Understands the impact of legislation at the state and federal
level on nursing and the organization.
- Maintains knowledge of current nursing practice, roles and
functions within nursing and other healthcare disciplines.
- Ensures that nursing practice and clinical policies and
procedures are reviewed and updated and are consistent with current
standards and evidence-based practice.
- Encourage staff participation in clinical studies that provide
- Supports a just culture environment and a system for reporting
- Ensures that the care delivery model, clinical environment of
care and related technology is appropriate to the needs of
caregivers and patients.
- Identifies, mitigates and takes action to correct areas of
risk/liability in patient care.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on
a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right
to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such
positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are
generally implemented only after notice is given to affected
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive experience in clinical,
management and leadership roles within hospital operations.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing required.
- Master's degree in nursing or related field required (Health
Administration, Business, Public Health, or management).
License, Certification, Registration
- Current California RN license by date of hire.
- National certification in nursing administration or advanced
nursing administration required within 4 years for an incumbent
Associate Chief Nursing Officer assuming position, and within 2
year of a newly hired Associate Chief Nursing Officer assuming
- Strong communication, presentation, leadership, analytical and
problem solving skills required.
- Ability to lead and manage through influence and change.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and California State laws and
regulations such as: Knox-Keene Act, Federal HMO Act, TJC, and all
applicable Medicare and Medi-Cal regulations.
- Significant leadership experience in regulatory surveys.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in a union
- Proven ability to deliver results for meeting organizational
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership
- Primary Location:
California,Santa Clara,Santa Clara Hospital Scheduled
Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day
Working Hours Start: 7:00 AM Working Hours
End: 3:30 PM Job Schedule: Full-time
Job Type: Standard Employee
Status: Regular Employee Group/Union
Affiliation: NUE-NCAL-09|NUE|Non Union Employee
Job Level: Director/Senior Director
Department: Nursing Administration
Learn About Nursing & Physician Assistant Careers
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an
upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing
Sign up to receive information about opportunities that relate
to your interests.
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Santa Clara , Associate Chief Nursing Officer, Other , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!