Scientific Data Curator 1 (2 Year Fixed Term-2 Openings)
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: May 8, 2022
We are seeking two positions for an Associate Biocuration
Scientist in the Cherry lab in the Department of Genetics at
We build and maintain cutting edge web portals for the scientific
community. An online resource serves education and scientific
research communities via the Saccharomyces Genome Database (
https://yeastgenome.org ), this includes an extensive online data
warehouse. The project is funded via the National Institutes of
Health. Our goals include understanding, tracking and analyzing the
genetics of basic biological research on model organism systems (
This project is a component of the Alliance Central project to
unify the data and software of model organism databases (
Qualified candidates are expected to contribute to curation of the
literature, including information submitted directly by the
research community, testing of the data and website to maintain
quality, and providing support to our users via email and social
- Collect, analyze and interpret information from peer-reviewed
scientific journals and/or through direct submissions by applying
specific scientific content knowledge. Abstract data into the
required format, verify for accuracy.
- Review complex, scientific submissions to the database for
quality and relevancy; abstract information in the required
formats. Review, research and resolve quality control reports
- Conduct independent research of scientific literature and other
available research to add content to the database and identify
upcoming research opportunities.
- Develop documentation regarding effective use of the database
for user community, typically professors, students and citizen
- Research and ensure resolution of user inquiries such as
content and website issues.
- Test new functionality with software to determine issues.
Escalate and follow up on identified issues.
- Maintain quality control and integrity of databases and query
tools for data mining as part of a collaborative team based on
technical content expertise in a scientific field, such as
molecular biology or chemistry.
- Contribute to the preparation of reports and publications
regarding research progress by researching data/statistics and
investigating errors or changes of data are accurate.
- Create and participate in presentations and demonstrations of
the database at conferences or other institutions.
* - Other duties may also be assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in scientific field and one year of related
experience, or combination of relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Solid analytical skills.
- Strong written and oral English communication skills.
- Computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheet
- Ability to understand scientific literature, experimental
procedures and their limitations, and current needs of the research
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, seated work and
use light/ fine grasping.
- Occasionally stand, walk, and write by hand, lift, carry, push
pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May work extended or non-standard hours based on project or
business needs. Occasional local travel may be required.
- Some work may be performed in a laboratory setting.
WORK STANDARDS (from JDL):
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Pay Grade: E
- Department URL: http://urology.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 88981 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Santa Clara , Scientific Data Curator 1 (2 Year Fixed Term-2 Openings), Other , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!