Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: May 14, 2022
Stanford University Department of Dermatology is seeking a
Biostatistician 2 to conduct bioinformatic and statistical analysis
in order to facilitate biomedical research in two laboratories in
the Program in Epithelial Biology that use high-throughput
techniques to understand stem cell function, development, cancer,
and other biological processes. Technologies currently in use
include next generation sequencing platforms, spatial genomics,
mass spectrometry, custom tiling arrays, and full-genome functional
genetics screens. The candidate will work with team of
statistician(s) and basic science researchers to implement analysis
plan and publish findings, present results orally to investigators,
and provide guidance to research team on design and analysis
We are seeking a candidate with a strong background in the area of
bioinformatics and biostatistics. A Master's degree in
Bioinformatics, Computation or related field with a minimum of 3
years of relevant experience is required. Doctoral degree desired.
Previous experience with analysis of high throughput data and large
datasets from the aforementioned platforms using established
software is preferred. In addition, applicants will need to have
familiarity with scripting languages (Perl/Python, R, or other
languages and environments) to create custom data analysis
pipelines to test directed biological hypotheses with available
data. Applicants will be expected to have experience with
relational database management systems (MySQL or similar software)
to interrelate large volumes of data generated from multiple
sources. Previous experience with Unix/Linux environment is
required. Algorithm development and some background in biology are
also highly desired. The successful candidate should have a
demonstrated ability to work with biologists to apply computational
approaches to their experiments as well as the ability to
facilitate the development of others' bioinformatics skills.
Applicants must possess good communication and team skills and be
fluent in both spoken and written English.
- Design study.
- Develop and implement protocol for quality control.
- Create analytic files with detailed documentation.
- Select appropriate statistical tools for addressing a given
- Implement data analysis through statistical programming.
- Present results for investigators using graphs and tables.
- Summarize findings orally and in written form.
- Participate in the preparation of papers for publication.
- Consult with investigators on appropriate statistical
approaches to data analyses; assist in study design and proposal
- Mentor collaborators in areas of experimental design, quality
control, and statistical analysis
- Develop oral and written dissemination of findings for
conference presentations and peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Oversee lower-level staff on issues related to quality control
and creation of analysis files.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Master's degree in biostatistics, statistics or related field and
at least 3 years of experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Proficient in at least two of R, SAS, SPSS, or STATA.
- Skills in descriptive analysis, modeling of data, and graphic
- Outstanding ability to communicate technical information to
both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated excellence in at least one area of expertise,
which may include coordinating studies; statistical methodology
such as missing data, survival analysis, statistical genetics, or
informatics; statistical computing; database design (e.g.,
expertise in RedCAP or MySQL); graphical techniques (e.g.,
expertise in Illustrator).
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently perform desk based computer tasks, seated work and
use light/ fine grasping.
- Occasionally stand, walk, and write by hand, lift, carry, push
pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
May work extended or non-standard hours based on project or
business cycle needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 5522
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: I
- Department URL: http://dermatology.stanford.edu
- Requisition ID: 88276 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Santa Clara , Senior Bioinformatician, Other , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!