Operations Transition Specialist
Company: NTT Global Data Centers Americas, Inc
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: November 20, 2020
POSITION SUMMARY: BASIC FUNCTION
The Operations Transition Specialist is responsible for
representing the Operations team throughout the construction and
commissioning of a new data center or data center expansion
project. The Operations Transition Specialist's role is to
constructively interact with the data center development team to
ensure that the facility meets the highest standards of safety,
operability, maintainability, efficiency and operational readiness
that are consistent with the project scope, schedule and budget.
He/she will report directly to and look after the best interests of
Operations Management and also be an integral and responsible
member of the Construction team.
The Transition Specialist will be a subject matter expert in data
center electrical/mechanicals systems, infrastructure, and
engineering practices, and will also have experience on
construction projects with an operational perspective. This role
requires strong interpersonal skills, technical expertise in the
data center operations field, knowledge of the construction process
and a thorough understanding of commissioning methods and
Regular, predictable attendance is essential for satisfactory
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate with the Operations team to develop a
project-specific Operational Transition Plan.
- Establish a positive working relationship with the project
design and construction teams, both inside and external to the
Owner organization. Establish a clear line of communications
between the Operations and Construction and Commissioning teams,
along with the proper protocols for issue identification and
- Utilize knowledge of operational best practices and the Owner's
project requirements to review the project documentation for
potential pitfalls and opportunities for improvement.
- Attend construction and commissioning meetings to keep abreast
of project developments, develop a detailed understanding of the
facility design and operation, and to track program changes and
their potential impact.
- Observe key installation and test procedures to ensure
conformance with project goals and to gather information for
operational documentation and training.
- Assume responsibility for operational readiness. Proactively
work with Construction and Commissioning teams to ensure that
required documents and information is delivered according to
specification and on time. Coordinate with Operations team to
deliver the information they need for development of the Critical
Environment Program. Other readiness activities include:
- Ensure that the subcontractor and vendor training is properly
developed and delivered
- Assist in the development of site Standard and Emergency
- Assist in the development of site-specific training
- Assist in the practical training of Site Operations team
- Perform periodic site inspections and reporting of any
construction issues uncovered or conditions that could affect the
operational reliability of the facility. This includes meeting
participation to ensure smooth coordination and tracking of issue
- Provide regular reports to Operations Management on project
progress and issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong background in electrical and mechanical systems design
review, layout, installation, commissioning and operations
- Strong knowledge of low voltage systems, including fire,
security and PLCs
- Expert knowledge of NFPA Electrical, Fire and Life Safety and
- Expert knowledge of NEC, NFPA 70E, NFPA 72, NFPA 25 and
- Expert knowledge in industrial safety best practices (i.e.
lockout/tag out, arc flash protection, OSHA and state
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Able to be highly confidential.
- Proficient with computers to include the utilization of
Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel, Power Point and
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Manages stress and/or fast-paced effectively.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree or equivalent work
experience normally obtained with 5-6 years' related
- A minimum of 5 or more years in a mechanical/electrical
position within critical facilities, including Power or critical
electrical power/mechanical environment (preference given to data
center, hospital, semi- conductor or power plant experience).
- Minimum of two or more years as a foreman, lead or senior level
technician in a critical facility environment.
- Certified Electrician preferred in state where assigned.
- CPR/First Aid and NFPA70E Certification during employment.
- Forklift Certified.
- Primarily walking, standing, and bending with some sitting.
- Able to hear and speak into a telephone.
- Close visual work on a computer terminal.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate any required computer
keyboard, mouse, and other technical instruments.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Able to climb a ladder and work on a raised platform.
- Typical data center work environment with varying temperatures
and loud noises.
- Extensive daily usage of a computer or workstation. This
includes heavy teleconferencing.
- Work on site; no telecommuting.
- Up to 10% domestic travel
- Must possess a current, valid state-issued driver's
Keywords: NTT Global Data Centers Americas, Inc, Santa Clara , Operations Transition Specialist, Professions , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!