Principal Electrical Engineer, Optoelectronics
Company: Abbott Laboratories
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: November 18, 2021
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more
fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing
technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading
businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices,
nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues
serve people in more than 160 countries. ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast,
accurate diagnosis. Abbotts life-changing tests and diagnostic
tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and
transform the way the world is managing health. Our pioneering
technology spans the world of healthcare operations with medical
diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions
for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency
departments, physician offices and clinics. Our location in Santa
Clara, CA currently has an opportunity for a Principal Electrical
Engineer WHAT YOULL DOThe Principal Engineer with in Abbotts
Hematology Division is responsible for the development of analog
electronic sub-systems in new products and for on market product
improvements and issue resolution. Leads technical teams comprised
of internal and external resources. Reports to the R&D Director
of Hardware Engineering.
- Define hardware requirements and specifications for each PCBA,
select components, schematic design, Bill of Materials, design
rules checking and net listing. Direct the PCB design activities
for signal integrity, and EMI/EMC regulatory compliance and
- Develops, designs, and evaluates electronics schematics,
layout, assemblies and processes
- Develops new concepts and associated electrical designs from
initial design to product launch
- Proven expertise in bringing analog circuit designs from
concept to production
- Proven expertise in designing signal processing boards with
associated embedded controller solutions (ARM processor experience
- Proven expertise in designing signal processing with FPGA/ARM
- Design and troubleshoot electronics Interface for Mechanical,
Fluidics and Optics subsystems
- Conducts feasibility studies to verify capability and
- Design/review circuits and systems for robustness against the
EMI, ESD and lighting.
- Develops high quality documentation for Hardware Design
Descriptions, requirements, test plans, and test reports.
- Proven experience with Verification and Validation
- Proven experience with EN/IEC 60601 Regulatory standards.
- Directs support staff and coordinates project activities
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and
Divisional Policies and procedures
- Exchanges Information: Exchanges information with appropriate
frequency and within a time frame to maximize its utility and
promote cross functional collaboration, verifies that information
is understood by the recipient.
- Adapts Information to Customer Needs: Delivers communications
tailored to the needs of the receiver (Managers, peers, customer)
Makes Presentations : Defines purpose and objectives, organizes
ideas, prepares A-V aids, keeps to time frame and presents
- Actively Listens: Listen actively to acquire information and
understand the others viewpoint.
- Give Constructive Feedback: Give appropriate, helpful
information specific to the issue, uses examples ,ties feedback to
specific business issues.
- Resolves Conflicts: Faces conflicts and takes initiative to
resolve them constructively so all parties can be productive knows
when to involve others.
- Actively Participates in Team Meetings: Actively participates
in design review to meet team goals by offering pro and con
suggestions, works toward consensus.
- Shares Resources ,Knowledge and Accountability: Shares
resources and knowledge, assures the team takes accountability,
draws on strengths of each team member.
- Serves in Multiple Team Roles: Serves as
expert,arbitrator,evaluator according to the needs of the team and
- Initiates Decisions: Makes timely and effective decisions,
considers alternatives, uses sound judgment, achieves closure on
work Confronts Issues: Confronts issues in a constructive manner
and at an appropriate organizational level, perseveres in the face
- Motivates Others: Keeps morale high by encouraging others,
giving positive feedback and setting a good example, makes and
keeps commitments., Receive/Give Performance Feedback: Asks for and
gives feedback on the strengths and development needs of self/
- Identify Future Development Needs: Translates changes in
business goals and objectives into the skills, knowledge and
experience needed for future work Plans for and Achieves
Development: Prepares a plan that sets appropriate development
goals, establishes timelines to fulfill development needs, balances
the time needed for accomplishing current work and achieving
- Evaluate Risk/Reward Trade Offs: Evaluate risks of
alternatives, recommend actions and develop strategies to cope with
various scenarios. Defines Applications for New Technologies:
Develops and implements operational strategy to achieve critical
success factors for serving new applications.
- Contributes to Business Strategies: Evaluate technical
trends,processes,and methods to contribute to the development of
long term business strategies.,Creates or Advances Technology:
Advances recognized leading edge technologies in a technical field,
fosters an environment of innovation in others. KEY SKILLS
- Expert in analog electronics circuit design, such as low-noise,
high-speed detector readout electronics and laser control
- Thorough understanding of a variety of semiconductor devices,
including operational amplifiers and comparators, ADCs, DACs,
FPGAs, logic devices and microprocessors / embedded systems.
- Intimately familiar with embedded systems (e.g. Xilinx, ARM)
and the associated hardware and firmware development. Proven
experience with hardware programming languages like VHDL or
Verilog, in the Xilinx Vivado design suite.
- Proficient with Engineering design, control and analysis tools,
such as OrCAD, PADS, Spice, Team Center, SBM, SAP, ANSYS, MATLAB,
- Proficient in technical management of suppliers. Excellent
collaboration with internal and external suppliers and
- Proficiency in technical project managementdeveloping,
documenting, and executing work streams in support of multiple
- Works cross-functionally to provide technical support
- Strong laboratory skills with a wide variety of electronic
equipment (Oscilloscopes, Spectrum Analyzers, Logic Analyzers,
Network Analyzers, DVMs)
- Proficient in communicating complex technical situations in an
understandable way across functions and disciplines.
- Strong knowledge of statistical methods, FMEA/FMECA and Design
- Validation activities
- Is energetic, creative, and has a can-do attitude. EDUCATION
AND EXPERIENCE YOULL BRINGRequired
- Bachelors degree in engineering, science or closely related
discipline with eight or more progressive work experience.
Exceptions to the degree requirement at this level require approval
of the appropriate level of Senior Management.
- 8 or more years of progressive development work
- Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and
- Minimum of 8 years of hardware design and development
experience, including at least 3-years direct experience in
developing regulated medical devices following design control.
- Listens and understands others points of view and articulates
tactfully and respectfully ones own perspective orally, in writing,
and in presentations.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, goal-driven
- Proven ability to innovate with a history of successful product
- Experience with simulation tools (e.g. circuit simulation,
layout simulation, or mathematical modeling).
- Proven knowledge of electrical and Optoelectronics principles,
practices and procedures.
- Engineering experience in medical device products with
optoelectronics and/or IVD
- Proven track record of bringing designs from concept to volume
production, including drawing generation, rapid prototyping,
laboratory set-ups of prototypes, and/or verification testing on
- Familiarity with systems engineering tasks is advantageous
- Proven experience as a technical subject matter expert in
resolving on market product issues
- Experience working with external manufacturers to design,
launch and improve vendor subsystems used in production WHAT WE
OFFER At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great
career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for
new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives
and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental,
vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial
performance and history of being actively involved in local
communities Learn more about our benefits that add real value to
your life to help you live fully: Follow your career aspirations to
Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the
growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal
Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.Connect with
us at , on Facebook at and on Twitter @AbbottNews and
Keywords: Abbott Laboratories, Santa Clara , Principal Electrical Engineer, Optoelectronics, Professions , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!