Senior Financial Analyst
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Santa Clara
Posted on: November 25, 2022
The Department of Epidemiology and Population Health and The
Department of Structural Biology are two of the premier basic
science departments in the country, attracting stellar graduate
students and fellows who advance to positions as top scientists and
academic leaders in their field.
We are seeking a Senior Financial Analyst (Financial Analyst 3) to
join our finance team that will split their time between the two
departments and will be responsible with other finance team members
for the pre award and post award research administration functions,
including overseeing sponsored project awards and faculty financial
portfolios, under minimal supervision for the department. In
addition, this individual will perform complex finance functions
and/or activities with programmatic impact on the institution,
requiring professional expertise and application of internal
policies and systems and external regulations.
This position is located on the Stanford main campus. The position
has the capability of being hybrid or remote.
- Perform highly analytical, complex finance and control
functions; multi-dimensional and complex reconciliations and
related analysis; prepare or review and approve complex
transactions and higher level dollar value transactions.
- Research, and synthesize data; interpolate results from large
amounts of data, identify trends in data, draw conclusions, develop
solutions, present and implement recommendations, and create follow
- Develop complex budget and forecasting scenarios, long-range
planning and analyses for financial reporting and presentations;
design and run ad hoc reports.
- Identify and resolve unique issues with substantial
significance; recognize exceptions, and conduct in-depth analysis
using advanced technical knowledge and experience. Recommend and
develop solutions that may require policy changes or the
development of new processes; maintain broader organizational and
university perspective in decision making.
- Review, design, and implement appropriate internal control
programs, research new regulations, and implement approved changes.
Manage compliance program for area of responsibility, interpret
internal policy and external regulations, and create and/or review
complex compliance reports.
- Lead and execute unit or cross functional projects and teams,
make decisions regarding projects and programs affecting
operational effectiveness, policies, or processes.
- Engage in continuous critical analysis of existing systems and
processes; make recommendations to achieve greater efficiencies and
improve internal controls. Define requirements, develop and
implement complex test cases, perform testing and analyze
- Lead and support unit and organization strategy and change
- Provide training on new financial systems. Represent
organization to client group(s) and external partners; serve as
subject matter expert on matters that involve complex technical,
financial, or subject matter expertise.
- Assess client and business needs, and formulate recommendations
to determine approach to managing and completing processes. - Other
duties may also be assigned
- Proactive, detailed oriented self-starter with experience in
pre/post award financial management preferably in academia.
- Ability to conduct variance analysis, projections, and other
reporting to provide insights into project budgets. EDUCATION &
Bachelor's degree and six years of relevant experience or
combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as
Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Advanced knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning and
financial systems; internet and computer literacy.
- Knowledge of GAAP.
- Advanced professional communication skills, including ability
to prepare materials for and clearly and effectively communicate
information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and
- Strong project management skills and ability to contribute to
or lead part of a multi-functional team. CERTIFICATIONS &
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Constantly sitting.
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone,
writing by hand, sort/file paperwork.
- Occasionally stand/walk, lift/carry objects weighing 11-20
- Rarely reach/work above shoulder. - Consistent with its
obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable
accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires
accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her
Routine extended working hours during peak cycles; travel to
school/unit sites across university.
WORK STANDARDS (from JDL):
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, . As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Santa Clara , Senior Financial Analyst, Professions , Santa Clara, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!